Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Sunday Funday at Conference

Sunday morning we woke up, showered, got dressed and ready to go for the day. Oh, and we made our really crappy cup of coffee in the wannabe hotel Keurig.

We attended the keynote speaker session first thing, along with the rest of the PRSSA students in attendance at the conference.

Afterwards, my friend Meghan who is from Elon University and I went to the Sports PR: In it to Win it session. Kat attended the Restaurant PR one. Sports PR was presented by Ketsia Colimon and Rebecca Timms. These women both have very different stories as to how they got in the sports PR world. Ketsia works for the Washington Mystics and Wizards. Rebecca previously worked for the Flyers and now does PR for the Philadelphia 76ers.

I am a HUGE Flyers fan so I loved hearing about that. It got my gears turning about applying for a NHL internship. She did mention that the employers in sports PR want you to be passionate about the team you are working for; know who is on the team and the important logistics and information about the team; but they do NOT want a super fan. It is a very fine line. That is something I would have to work on. Hockey and football are my favorite sports and if I ever worked in that industry I would need to put my fan mode on low, which would be very hard for me to do.

This seminar was not all that I had hoped it would be.

Kat really loved the restaurant session by Linda Roth PR. She came back to our room and said she thinks she found what she wants to go into. It was all she talked about all night.

We intended to go to the other session, and I am honestly kind of mad at myself for not going. But you see...we fell asleep. We were so exhausted from all the learning, being up late and waking up early that we slept for a good 3 hours. Ooopss!

That night we were again going out to dinner with her mom and aunt. This time we had to take the metro by ourselves! It was exciting and scary all at the same time, but we did it! We got there early and so we had some time to walk around Chinatown. We walked over to the Verizon Center. We took a ton of pictures. We went to an Urban Outfitters and browsed for a bit.

The restaurant we ate at is called Zaytinya, it is Mediterranean cuisine. José Andrés is the owner and he is a very well known chef. He has been on the Food Network, and he also owns a bunch of other restaurants.


This video features some of the food from the restaurant. We had about 8-10 dishes. They are all small plates so we shared each dish. Something I loved was that we got fresh pita bread all the time. As soon as we were low, they would refill it. We had scallops, shrimps, bass, piyaz ( which is these large beans with kale and tomato), lamb, brussels sprouts, tzatziki and I know I am forgetting something. It was easily some of the best food I have ever had. I would highly recommend this place to anyone.

Once we were finished with dinner Kat wanted to go see the White House and the monuments so we walked from the restaurant. It was about 10 or so blocks away and took us around 20 minutes. Washington is truly beautiful at night. We ended our evening there and headed back on the metro to the hotel.


Day 3 complete.


No comments:

Post a Comment