Search This Blog

Thursday, October 23, 2014

All Things Must Come to an End: PRSSANC Day 4

Day 4 of National Conference was probably my favorite day.

We started off the morning by attending the career development exhibition at 10:30 am. It was again set up in the regency ballroom. There were vendors everywhere; from PR companies to grad schools.

Kat and I walked around the large room with our resumes and business cards in hand, ready to hand them out like candy. We talked to Edelman, Ketchum, Lewis PR, Linda Roth PR, a table about raising awareness for organ donation, plus a ton of other companies that I can't remember the name of at the moment. We asked questions about employment, internships, graduate school, experience, what they look for in a potential employee. It was very useful and a bit intimidating at times. On the other hand I felt very inspired; being surrounded by other students and professionals in the field that I love knowing we are all going to make an impact in this industry and in turn, the world.

I stopped by the Elon University table and spoke with a woman about their graduate school program. She explained that it is intense and fast paced but the students coming out of the program have no issues getting a job. She also mentioned that the students get put in groups and are given a client to work for and actually end up presenting their campaign and ideas to the company. The students also travel internationally during their schooling - this was and still is very enticing to me. I want to travel like you would not believe.

I also talked to Marist College about grad school and signed up for more information. Their program is all online which is cool, but I think for my personality I would need the majority of my classes to be in person. I like to student- teacher interaction and connections that are formed through the classroom experience.

We ran into friends we had met throughout our time there. And we actually got to talking with executive board members from a chapter in California. The president was super helpful and encouraging. We all exchanged business cards and I plan to reach out to them for advice and just to chat/ catch up sometimes soon.

After walking around and schmoozing for a while we left and went to get some lunch at a cute little restaurant across the street,and check out of our hotel. We were leaving in a few hours so we had to run to our room and pack our things and get them stored until we were ready to leave. Kat wrote about her experience and what she learned in an article for our school's online blog/ newspaper. Check it out at BUnow.








The final session we went to was hands down my favorite. The speakers, Ryan and Brandi whom were PRSSA members and eventually were on the national e-board, each went on a different path in PR. Ryan was an intern for a company called Taylor. He was eventually offered a full time position and loves it. Brandi on the other hand works for IBM, a corporate PR company. Both of these individuals were so knowledgable and friendly. Hearing their backgrounds and what it is like to work for In-House vs. Agency was extremely helpful. I had no idea what I wanted to do or which one I would prefer. And honestly I am still open to either.


Brandi talked about making a wish list of companies that I would want to work for. Have some big dream jobs and then ones that we think are more attainable.

Ryan said, "Location, location, location!" If you know you want to work in a big city, like Brandi in NYC, then look there. Wherever it is that you want to go, go. Don't let it hold you back. Take a risk, be brave and try it out. If you never try you will never know. Along with that if you want to live in a small town, suburban or city stay true to that. Make yourself comfortable.

They also noted to be aware of your personality. And use your skills and personality in the most effective way possible.

Kat and I went up to Brandi afterwards and she was seriously one of the nicest and most approachable people I have ever met. She wrote down her email for us and told her to reach out to her for anything. She even invited Kat to her birthday party and/or to meet up for coffee because they live in close proximity to each other, and Kat is graduating in December.

For the complete list of the program outline of conference click here.

Oh and I might as well announce that the 2015 PRSSA National Conference will be held in Atlanta, Georgia. You better believe I am going to try my best to be there.

No comments:

Post a Comment